Author Topic: Better Remote Hotspot testing functionality  (Read 6266 times)

Offline DenbyWireless

Better Remote Hotspot testing functionality
« on: August 06, 2007, 05:21:54 pm »
Most of my hotspots are physically remote to me.  This means I can't just drive a couple of min to get there.

There have been a couple of times, where I get a call from the hotspot host complaining that some ticket will not log in.
(usually this a case sensitivity issue or a WS server down) Regardless I really need a way of testing.

I would like a facility to be able to remotely test a hotspot usage ticket at a particular hotspot.
I'd like this test to be Logged (and flagged differently) in session status.
Ideally not consuming any time on the ticket, but if required, then autolog it out after 10seconds.

What I have found that does work after a fassion.
1) Navigate to your hotspot page                           -- The Hotspot you are testing
2) Click (Click here to try a different ticket)              -- or make sure you are starting from scratch
3) Enter you ticket/user pswd combo                       -- Ticket to test
4) Click the user/ticket loging                                 -- I still dislike 2 buttons for logon.
5) If ticket is valid, you get redirect that says
"On a real hotspot, you would be connected to the internet!"
   If the ticket/user is invalid you get
"Sorry, can't connect"

It would be way nicer user experience if we differentiated a page for Expired sessions vs invalid ticket/pswd.

Currently the default "Wrong ticket/password" is inadequate and often invisible (unless you scroll down).

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
Re: Better Remote Hotspot testing functionality
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 06:41:17 pm »
I'd say you have to have a test hotspot nearby.
Configure it with the same config as the one you want, then test the ticket on it.
To make sure a ticket is working you have to make a radius request...

Normally, just looking at the ticket state should be enough...
If it is not the case, check the subscription and the error message.

Offline DenbyWireless

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:34:24 pm »
A closer 'hotspot' does not help if there is an issue with a particular site.
All I get is a phone call saying this ticket isn't working.
I guess the problem is I have no exposure to failed logins so I don't really know what they are doing.

Would it be possible to have a window into failed logins? I'd only need the last couple of attempts.
This would at least let me see what the use is typing and the button chosen.
It would be good to know he is reading the ticket as O not 0 (letter not number) or 1H vs 1h or even if the ticket is not even getting auth'd because of some local router/network issue.

thanks

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:20:34 am »
This is noted.

I've been also asked to make something for the "user login" vs "ticket login" buttons.
If you have a suggestion to make it more user friendly...

Offline DenbyWireless

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 06:18:52 am »
Easy solution, Change the word 'Identification" to be "Enter Ticket or Registered User Name with password, then click login button below"
change the [User Login] button to [Registered User Login] and put it after [Ticket Login] so tab order hits Ticket login first.

Long term, I think the interface should change so that [Registered Users] was a separate login page.
This would allow you to further describe advantages to being a registered user, like Worldspot roaming for example.
Please include a check box in the configure hotspot page that exposes this interface (or not) as a site preference.
(side question, is there a reason you have to Worldspot register prior to Palpal?)

For Login failure interface, I'd change the failed messages; making Bad user, Bad password and Expired tickets re-directs to different pages with better explanationa of why the user didn'nt get the expected access. Include a button to go back to login page. A real plus would be customizable pages

As to Failed attempts and debugging. I have 2 thoughts. One is a checkbox on session history that included failed attempts the other is a separate window with say the last 15 failed attempts across all hotspots. It could any other useful info to debug being hacked. Which ever is easier.

I hope this isn't to bad to code. Thanks for asking for input.  Aa

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 08:22:36 am »
Easy solution, Change the word 'Identification" to be "Enter Ticket or Registered User Name with password, then click login button below"
This is a little long for a title...
But I will add this phrase.
change the [User Login] button to [Registered User Login] and put it after [Ticket Login] so tab order hits Ticket login first.
This will be done soon
Long term, I think the interface should change so that [Registered Users] was a separate login page.
This would allow you to further describe advantages to being a registered user, like Worldspot roaming for example.
Please include a check box in the configure hotspot page that exposes this interface (or not) as a site preference.
(side question, is there a reason you have to Worldspot register prior to Palpal?)
I will convert online billing into tickets. So people will be assigned ticket codes after paying. They will share the same interface as tickets, so there won't be no more registered user login (if you don't require validation)
This will simplify the online billing process very much, but the user has to note the code (which will be emailed...)
For Login failure interface, I'd change the failed messages; making Bad user, Bad password and Expired tickets re-directs to different pages with better explanationa of why the user didn'nt get the expected access. Include a button to go back to login page. A real plus would be customizable pages
I will be easier if I made the error message bigger and with explainations near the login.
Please propose some explainations phrases.
Customizable explaination is too complex to configure...
As to Failed attempts and debugging. I have 2 thoughts. One is a checkbox on session history that included failed attempts the other is a separate window with say the last 15 failed attempts across all hotspots. It could any other useful info to debug being hacked. Which ever is easier.

I hope this isn't to bad to code. Thanks for asking for input.  Aa
I will think about this. This will be lower priority I think...