Author Topic: Real time usage, and "your session has ended" message with details  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Dlock104

When a client is using the internet connection, not only on the admin end (ticket list/history) but also on the user end, it shows "Total Volume left" in the "current state". I love this feature but it doesn't show in real time, again, for the user or admin. It only updates after a disconnect. As a customer, if my plan was based upon a data usage limit, I would want to know exactly where i am within that usage limit in "real time". Im sure there is a reason for it being the way it is, just a wish list thing, if its possible.

Also, once a data limit or time limit has been reached, on the client side it just seems like you were disconnected. Yes, if you were aware of where you were within the time limit or data limit you would probably know it was one of the two, or if you left the connection page open and new to refresh you would know why. It would be nice for a session termination to be redirected to a "statistics" (or some other name) page that shows their data usage, connections, time, etc.....
This would be especially helpful if the client was very close to both their data and time limit.

I know this is already a wish list topic, Just as a side note, I would also like a more detailed scheduling for time limits. For example, I would like to set my clients access to end on the last day of the month at midnight, or some other predetermined day.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
Re: Real time usage, and "your session has ended" message with details
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:32:54 am »
Hello
When a client is using the internet connection, not only on the admin end (ticket list/history) but also on the user end, it shows "Total Volume left" in the "current state". I love this feature but it doesn't show in real time, again, for the user or admin. It only updates after a disconnect. As a customer, if my plan was based upon a data usage limit, I would want to know exactly where i am within that usage limit in "real time". Im sure there is a reason for it being the way it is, just a wish list thing, if its possible.
This feature is possible only with coova-chilli and is planned. A javascript will update in real time the page with times and volumes. The script is done but not yet integrated in the worldspot portal. I will integrate it in the next few weeks.

This feature will not be available with dd-wrt and chillispot as this is one of the new coova-chilli features.

Just as a side note, I would also like a more detailed scheduling for time limits. For example, I would like to set my clients access to end on the last day of the month at midnight, or some other predetermined day.
What is the logic behind that?
This seems complicated to specify.

Offline Dlock104

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:50:51 am »
Thanks for the speedy reply, I have yet to try coova but do plan on it. I really struggled getting everything to finally work since I am very new at all this networking stuff.
As far as the scheduling, if you give a client a "1 month ticket" the ticket starts counting down once the client has first logged on. So, if you start a new 30 day ticket but they dont login until the 6th day of the month. Now, since they logged in 6 days late, i would have to manually go in and stop the account on the last day of the month. In addition, switching each ticket according to how many days there are in that month (28, 30, 31) is definitely doable, just a bit more time consuming than if it were automated.

Offline Dlock104

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:03:58 am »
Sorry, somehow it posted the reply before i was done. here is the rest of it.

I do see how this might seem a little silly and kinda micro managing. Think of it like this: I have a month to month plan with my phone company. I have a certain amount of minutes I can use within that month. My billing cycle begins on the 15th of every month. If I dont use my phone for 15 of those days and it happens to be a 30 day month, I now only have 15 days to use up that certain amount of minutes. They dont give me an extra 15 days until they bill me again.
  If you still do not see any logic in that please inform me of how I am being illogical. you wont hurt my feelings. :)

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 09:38:03 am »
Worldspot access policy rules are already quite complex.
They are designed for unlimited internet lines which I think are the most widespead.

There already have been demands about hourly access rules (from australian people), because of their ISP pricing.
Unfortunately there are very different isp rules in the world which can't be easily satisfied.

Sorry