Author Topic: 'Outtage' email indicator  (Read 4729 times)

Offline dijnebbh

'Outtage' email indicator
« on: December 08, 2010, 05:08:15 pm »
For hotspot(s) where there is no physical admin nearby, they are automated:

An email notifier when there is no hotspot connected to worldspot.

If it is not possible for 'Worldspot services' to detect a hotspot connection down, then

For a 'no client active' method:
As there is always at least a few active clients (admin-set minimum in the hotspot settings on worldspot),
failure to have any (maybe for an admin-set period of time, 0 minutes to xxxx) sets off an email.
[edit: this feature could also be useful to gauge whether a minimum of clients we need to have over a period of time to assess the profitability of the location & settings are present. If it consistently goes below a minimum could it be useful to know this?].

If below the set minimums, then we get an email notifier from worldspot.

I had a cabling (power) out-tage recently between the hotspot and the internet backhaul, as that area is being remodeled. And I had no idea it was out for three days, because I am not using the wireless or not on-site. To fix it was easy, but without notification I probably lost some confidence of clients.

[edit: this 'Alert' message has to come from e.g. 'outtage@worldspot.net' i.e. the worldspot services, because it was the services that lost connection with the hotspot, yet the Worldspot services still have internet access to relay a message].
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:19:30 pm by dijnebbh »

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
Re: 'Outtage' email indicator
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 05:25:13 pm »
This is in the todo list for a long time.
I hope there will be new firmware side features in the next few weeks/months.

Offline dijnebbh

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »
how does improved firmware on the router, which has no internet connection, help it to email the server when the connection goes down? Is it some kind of keep-alive on the router sent to the radius server?

regards
  ;D

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:15:16 pm »
It takes quite some time to create a firmware...
At least I will make a heatbeat mechanism on worldspot's side. You will need a script to check your hotspot and call the script.