Author Topic: DHCP server not assigning correctly  (Read 6725 times)

Offline Campagnola

DHCP server not assigning correctly
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:34:02 am »
Running the latest version of CoovaAP on a wrt54gs ver 2. Using CoovaChilli UAM as the HotSpot Type to run a worldspot hotspot.
Lan DHCP service is Enabled with starting address as 192.168.10.100 with giving out 100 addresses.
The problem is that it starts to give out the addresses at 192.168.10.2.
Why would it do this?
Is this a CoovaAP issue or something to do with the worldspot setup?
I'm hoping it will stop at 192.168.10.100. If so I can fix my static IP's I have already set on my network to something in the .200 range.
I'm a bit of a novice at this so I suppose I need to do some more changing of settings and see what happens.
But any help would be appreciated.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
Re: DHCP server not assigning correctly
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:30:58 am »
Hello

The DHCP service should be done by coovaChilli, not by the LAN dhcp server.
So you should disable the LAN dhcp server.
You must not set the lan IP subnet to the same subnet as coovaChilli uses.

Also, if you have a private network, you should separate it from the public network (if you want it separated)

Best regards

Offline Campagnola

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:52:46 am »
Well thought I bricked my router but was able to get it back though telnet doing a reset.

I've signed up for a worldspot account and subscribed this router I'm having trouble with up for a month of service. My user name there is also Campagnola.

I got worldspot working like it should after a hard reset and reentering all the worldspot hotspot info again.

I can connect through wireless to the COOVAP router running the CoovaChilli hotspot with worldspot and get a 10.1.0.2 address.  And can login in with ticket user info and get on internet no problem.
Can also connect to LAN port and get a local IP from the router of 192.168.1.140 and get internet access with no authorizing through worldspot.

But soon as I change the Lan dhcp services to disabled (as suggested in first response to my issue) to be able to get a worldspot IP addresss and change hotspot access from just wireless to wireless and lan ( want to hard wire other AP's to the lan port) it now goes back to giving out a 192.168.1.?? addresses when connecting by wireless or by ethernet to the lan port.

Also when connected by Ethernet and get the 192.168.1.2 address from the router then open up a web browser it goes to worldspot page to login on to get on internet.

So it seems like the  LAN & Wireless setting is working like it should. But I'm not getting my IP address from Worldspot but from the COOVAAP router.
If I reset it all back it works as I explained above.

My setup is like this.
I have a DSL modem with an IP address of 192.168.1.1 that gives out a  DHCP address of 192.168.1.106 to a WRT54GS router running DD-WRT v24sp2. This is the only thing connected to the DSL modem.
The WRT54GS running the DD-WRT is my local LAN router.
Its local IP address is 192.168.0.1 and is a DHCP server too my local LAN network giving out addresses between 0 .100 and 0.149.
I have another WRT54GS running COOVAAP to run the worldspot hotspot.
It is connected from the LAN of the DD-WRT router to the WAN of the COOVAAP router and the COOVAAP router is set to a local IP Address of 192.168.1.1.

I don't seem to be causing a conflict between the DSL modem and the COOVAP even though they have the same IP address assigned to them. The DD-WRT router is between them.

I still can't figure out what is wrong. Why can't I get a worldspot IP when connecting to the LAN port of the COOVAAP router???
 Have tried changing settings back and forth to no avail.
If I can include any other info to help solve this, if its solveable just let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help
Dave
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:21:45 am by Campagnola »

Offline Campagnola

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:57:07 am »
Don't get confused on this sentence. Not sure what I was typing.

"I've signed up for a worldspot account and subscribed this router I'm having trouble with up for a month of service."

I should have said I have signed up and paid for a 1 month subscription on this router with worldspot that I'm trying to get working in case that was causing any of the issues.

Hoping I can get this working and will be keeping the service.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 07:21:29 am »
It seems that you have a wrong ip address on the coovaAP WAN: it must be on the same subnet as the dd-wrt's LAN: like 192.168.0.2

You should also set the hotspot LAN ip address to another subnet like 192.168.2.1

Then you should work better.

There is no problem for me to refund your subscription credits.

Offline Campagnola

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 07:36:26 am »
Wow what a quick reply.

Under network  and WAN Configuration it is set to DHCP.

Under Status and Network I show under the vlan1 setting the IP address 192.168.0.113 which coincides with the IP my DD-WRT router is showing is assigned to my COOVA router.

I also assume you mean to change the IP address under Network, LAN Configuration from the 192.1681.1 to 192.168.2.1.

Thanks for the offer of a refund but really hope I can get this working on worldspot.
I'm in the US and setting this up to go into my friends hotel in Switerland and make us both some money.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:16:59 am »
I also assume you mean to change the IP address under Network, LAN Configuration from the 192.1681.1 to 192.168.2.1.
Yes this is better.

Please also look at the hotspot logs.

Offline Campagnola

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 05:46:55 am »
So changed the hotspot lan IP address to a different one than what is on my network but still not getting worldspot DHCP address.

What I have noticed, by opening up my eyes and reading, is under the Hotspot settings and DHCP tab there is a note on the right that says:
     "Using LAN settings when running HotSpot services on both wired and wireless interfaces"
So guess that is why I'm not getting DHCP from Worldspot.
I might be able to work my network around the issue except the router is not following the rules I set under Network, DHCP.

I set a starting address of 192.168.2.25 and giving out 200 addresses but it always starts with giving out the address of 192.168.2.2.
Will just have to give all my equipment on the hotspot network a different subnet (192.168.3.??)so I don't have a chance of it running into an ip conflict. Just makes it a few more steps to be able to access the AP's if their is an issue with them.

Thanks for all the help

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 09:20:56 am »
I set a starting address of 192.168.2.25 and giving out 200 addresses but it always starts with giving out the address of 192.168.2.2.
This might be because you already have a dhcp lease?

I don't know coovaAP very well, but the coovaChilli hotspot software has its own dhcp server, with its own settings, is it a new feature that it will use dhcp lan settings?

You should launch an ssh connection and see what is happening in the commandline.