Author Topic: Tickets on Stickers  (Read 5301 times)

Offline rclark

Tickets on Stickers
« on: October 06, 2006, 04:48:18 am »
While discussing  the problem of accidental ticket reuse with a colleague, we hit on the idea of printing tickets (just login/password) on sheets of white stickers.

Let me explain how this solves more than one problem:

PROBLEMS:
 - accidental reuse of locally printed tickets
 - cost of custom printing colour tickets unique to the venue - especially as every ticket is unique.

SOLUTION
 - print sheets of stickers: Each sticker has one login/password pair
 - seller peels off a ticket and sticks to:
  - CAFE: Side of coffee cup (?)
  - MOTEL: Preprinted colour card that has an empty space for the ticket. The cards are cheap as they are all identical! They could be business card size that are cheap to order over the Internet these days.

So my wish is that one of the ticket printing options be that they are compatible with the concept of sheets of blank stickers. But as some countries use 'Letter' size paper/printers and the other more advanced ( ;)) countries use metric A4 paper, and because it is not clear what sheets of stickers will be available in each country, I assume there will have to be an option of selecting: Paper Size, Number of Columns, Number of Rows so that the tickets line up with the stickers. www.avery.com and www.avery.com/au have listings of 'standard' sheets they sell and I think their products are widely available so maybe a few of their standard products might be supported as defaults??

Just an idea.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
Re: Tickets on Stickers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 07:50:28 am »
The ticket printing will be html pages ready to be printed. (it is almost ready)
So it will be a little difficult (but not impossible) to make it exactly fit stickers.
You will have to play with your browser page setup margins.
The size of the tickets themselves will be selectable, but I don't know how precise it will be.

Offline rclark

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 12:39:26 pm »
You will have to play with your browser page setup margins.

But the problem is

You really means HotSpot owner. They are not going to want to sell tickets if it becomes too hard.

Anyway....keep this idea for 'Version 2'.  I appreciate you are working hard on printing tickets and I do not want to delay that.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 12:59:32 pm »
What would you suggest to print tickets without installing complicated software? pdf?
Even with pdf, you would have to setup things so that it matches your stickers.

The html choice was for simplicity for me AND the user.

Offline rclark

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 12:43:18 am »
PDF would be the only real way to go as you are garaunteed things are where they should be on the page. But - that may be quite a bit of coding. ???

I am assuming the following 100% defines the geometry

- Paper: A4
- Orientation: Portrait
- Columns: 10
- Rows: 50

I guess you would have to assume a small unprintable margin between each sticker on the page - meaning print in the centre of each rectangle.

Lets wait until the HTML version is out before taking on this challenge.

Regards and thanks

Rob