Author Topic: Capture Customer Email Address  (Read 20115 times)

Offline robinwilson16

Capture Customer Email Address
« on: January 01, 2013, 09:31:09 pm »
Hello 

I am looking for a way to be able to provide customers with free wifi as long as they provide their email address and probably also agree to some terms. It would be good if the page could also be customised with the logo of the venue. 

If I replace the Vigor access points which currently provide open access at 5 venues will I be able to do this using your software?  Will the software be free as long as we do not need more than 30 simultaneous users? Also it said to contact you if you do not mention compatibility do you know if your software could work with Vigor access points? I was assuming not though as no models are listed.

Thanks 
 Robin

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
Re: Capture Customer Email Address
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:24:52 am »
Hi

Yes you can customize your captive portal with your own html and bitmaps (logos).

I don't know about vigor access points, you can try, but only with WorldSpot "tickets".
You should consider buying the recommended tp-link routers that are worldspot firmware compatible.
About the price, a monthly limit will be added in the future. This still has to be specified.

Best regards

Offline robinwilson16

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:53:00 pm »
Hello
Thanks for the reply.
If we go with this solution then we would probably get the recommended equipment. However all the equipment seems to be routers and we would need to use access points rather than routers to cover the whole area. I suppose a router could be configured to work in a similar way to an access point if it was a cable router and the network cable was plugged into the WAN port but do you provide/recommend any access points as well? Currently the routers are away from the area where free wifi needs to be offered and the routers currently being used are expensive ones which have site to site VPN links back to the head office.

We do not need the functionality to print tickets but just want to stop people from being able to use the internet until they have provided an email address. Looking at the information if we are just providing free wifi without tickets and there will be under 30 connections then it looks like there is no cost for this (apart from buying the hardware). Is this not the case?
Would it be possible for you to recommend what hardware would be best and what the total cost would be? I am looking at the different solutions and trying to work out which one to go for looking at the features and cost. Currently I have set up open access free wifi which works ok but obviously we can't see how well it is being used and put them at a landing page or collect their email so all the cabling is done.
There will also be a 6th venue soon.

EDIT: Sorry we only need the functionality in 3 of the venues currently and not 5.

Thanks
Robin
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:08:35 pm by robinwilson16 »

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 01:43:21 pm »
It is recommended to have one single public network in order to enable roaming between access points.
This means that you should use one single hotspot router to which you can connect any number of transparent wifi access points through an ethernet network.
Any transparent wifi access point is OK. By transparent, it means that it should not route or change any mac address.

If you keep your own access points, you can use the cheapest tp-link wr740n or wr741nd.

You don't need tickets to ask for email.

About the cost, it still has to be determined. But it will be cheaper than unlimited tickets.

Offline robinwilson16

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 03:37:35 pm »
Hello
Just to give some background to the way it is set up. There are 5 different restaurants which are all in different parts of town and each site uses a DrayTek Vigor 2830 router which has a VPN connection to link back to the head office which also uses the same. Each venue has to have its own subnet 192.168.1.X, 192.168.2.X, etc. This way it can access local resources as well as resources at the head office. I set all this up last year and it all works and the routers cost £180 each. Roaming would not be needed between the sites really as a person would be out of range whilst travelling between the sites so would need to reconnect anyway. One of the sites does require two access points due to its size and roaming isn't great currently between them as you have to go out of range of the first one before it will connect you to the second or force it to disconnect and reconnect so it would be good if this could be improved. However as it is a restaurant/bar people don't tend to move around that much once seated.
If it was a cable router and works in the same way then I should just be able to give it a static IP on the correct range and then use it like and access point as I have done this before (I.e. at home the BT broadband wifi is poor so I have plugged in a cable router  had lying around and just use that for wifi which works well).
Unless you have a router which does VPNs then we could not replace these as the VPN tunnel needs to occur at the router otherwise all the networked tills could not be read from the head office and computer VPNs would put a strain on the server. Currently everyone can access shared drives at the head office and print to a large photocopier and the computers are all connected to a central domain.
Both the TP-LINK WR941ND hotspot and the TP-LINK WR741ND hotspot seem to be cable routers from what I can tell but will it work with your software to just use them as access points so as to not impact the rest of the setup?

Thanks
Robin

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 03:57:42 pm »
I would suggest that you use a hotspot router for each restaurant, connected to your internet modem or your existing router.
You can keep your existing router.
All it needs is to get an ip from DHCP and an access to the internet (direct if possible)

WorldSpot firmware is based on openwrt, which has openvpn features possible. But setting it up would be up to you. You might need 8mb flash like wr1043 for this.
It should be simpler to keep your existing router.

Offline robinwilson16

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 09:07:25 pm »
Ok thanks

As long as it will work ok I will keep the existing router and connect this one to it. The connection to the internet can then be direct (via the other router). The DNS is handled via a server at the remote site over the VPN.
Thanks for the help.
Robin

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:02:15 pm »
no need for dns, worldspot firmware uses opendns servers by default.

Offline robinwilson16

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 11:23:31 pm »
Ok thanks for the help.

How can I find out what the cost will be as I am looking at different solutions in terms of what the cost would be (set up and ongoing) as well as the features?

Thanks
Robin

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 11:26:46 pm »
If you have question about the pricing page, just let me know: http://www.worldspot.net/wk/Main/en/Pricing
The documentation may show about the features of worldspot services. http://www.worldspot.net/wk/Main/en/Doc

Offline robinwilson16

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 02:28:12 am »
Hello

Thanks for the reply but I'm still not clear on the pricing.

According to the pricing page it says this:
"Free hotspots" (which means no conditional access with tickets) will remain free with some (small) limitations: 30 maximum simultaneous connections.

This states it is free as long as we have no more than 30 simultaneous users and do not need to supply people with tickets.

But then your replies imply there is a cost but you are not saying what it is:
About the price, a monthly limit will be added in the future. This still has to be specified.
About the cost, it still has to be determined. But it will be cheaper than unlimited tickets.

As stated I do not need tickets but just need a way to collect people's email addresses when they want to use the free wifi and hopefully show the logo of the venue on the form too.

Is it possible for you to confirm the price for what I need or if it is free as the prices page implies can you confirm that is indeed the case?
Also if there are 4 venues then is that 30 simultaneous connections in total or per venue?

Thanks
Robin

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:21:40 pm »
Hello

For the moment, there is not much more to say.
A new pricing plan will be defined in the next months.

What is free now will have a monthly limit, which will probably global per account.

Offline robinwilson16

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 01:03:43 pm »
Hello

You have managed to respond to me each time without really answering any of my questions.

Without being able to ascertain from you whether it will work inside an existing router (you say "you can try, but only with WorldSpot "tickets"" but I don't want to hand out tickets and only want to collect customer email addresses), whether what I want to do is possible (collect customer email addresses without the need to print tickets) or how much it will cost (you seem to vaguely say there may be some kind of cost in the future), which was all I needed to know, it will be difficult to recommend this option.

So basically I still need answers to the following:
  • Can the system be set up to require a customer to enter their email address the first time they connect and then give them access once entered and can this be validated as correct? We do not want them to have to collect tickets
  • What option/package would I need?
  • Will I need to purchase the option only once for the whole account or once per venue?
  • How much will it cost?
  • Will it work inside a standard router

Please can you provide answers to these and I will put the info forward in the consideration for which provider to go with.

Thanks
Robin

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 09:47:20 pm »
Can the system be set up to require a customer to enter their email address the first time they connect and then give them access once entered and can this be validated as correct? We do not want them to have to collect tickets
Yes, absolutely. You can ask the user to register an account, then, as an option, he has a 5 minutes free connection to connect and validate his email. Once validated, the user can connect with his account.

What option/package would I need?
Will I need to purchase the option only once for the whole account or once per venue?
How much will it cost?

Today, this is free. No subscription needed.
This will probably change in the next months and the new price is not yet defined.
Will it work inside a standard router
No, there is no "standard" router.
The service will work with worldspot firmware compatible routers:
http://worldspot.net/wk/en/WorldspotFirmware

Offline robinwilson16

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 02:46:00 pm »
When I say will it work inside an existing router I think you are misunderstanding me again. I mean will the system work if:
  • I purchase one of your Worldspot cable routers with your software on it
  • The new Worldspot router is inside an existing router. When I say standard I mean a router that routes traffic to the internet in a standard way (i.e. is not set up in a specific non-standard way).
  • Your router is plugged into the existing router via an Ethernet cable which is itself connected to the internet via an ADSL line
[li]
[/li][/list]

Reading through this thread again I think you kind of answered this on the 2nd Jan.

So can you give no hint at all at the price? Otherwise we are going to have to purchase 4 of these routers and get them all set up, replacing the existing system, with no idea of how much it is going to cost or what limits are likely to be imposed.

anything