Author Topic: Logs, Splash page  (Read 9458 times)

Offline drei

Logs, Splash page
« on: October 10, 2006, 02:16:51 pm »
Wishlist:
1. Logs downloadable OR by E-mail
2. Splash page only with the informations that are relevant for hotspot users AND with some text reminding them of their legal obligations.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
Re: Logs, Splash page
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 02:25:38 pm »
Wishlist:
1. Logs downloadable OR by E-mail
Is it for archiving purposes? What will you do with this logs?
2. Splash page only with the informations that are relevant for hotspot users AND with some text reminding them of their legal obligations.
You can already add any text you want in the welcome page.

Offline drei

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 02:43:06 pm »
Is it for archiving purposes?
Yes, I want to keep my own archive, in case any legal problems might arise.

You can already add any text you want in the welcome page.
My wish was: "only with the informations that are relevant for hotspot". Currently there is so much text on the page that the user can hardly find the relevant things and if you add more text the user will have to scroll down to log in. Not very user friendly.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 03:06:10 pm »
Yes, I want to keep my own archive, in case any legal problems might arise.
Worldspot is doing the work for you, these archives are backup up on multiple locations.
(real time backup server soon...)
But if you want to, in what format do you want them?
Currently there is so much text on the page that the user can hardly find the relevant things and if you add more text the user will have to scroll down to log in. Not very user friendly.
What information do you find irrelevant?
I'm thinking about the next full custom page feature. The problem I have is that there are multiple pages to be shown. What info would you like to be optional?

Offline drei

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 04:38:41 pm »
But if you want to, in what format do you want them?

E.g. csv-file for import into Excel. Would be easiest (in my opinion).

What info would you like to be optional?

Give me your E-mail address, I will send you screenshots with my comments.

Btw., your imprint is missing.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 07:51:14 pm »
Just one thing, I don't communicate the users email to anybody unless there is a real (legal) need for it. So if your download won't contain the needed information to authentication.

My email should be in one of the icons on the left of this post...

missing imprint??? where?

Offline drei

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 07:07:34 am »
missing imprint??? where?

Yes, where is it? I could not find it anywhere. I am quite sure that legislation in any developed country of the world demands that you place an easily readable imprint on your website. You are offering a security service, without giving your users information about the operator of  this service - or at least I am unable to find this information.

Even worse, it turns out that your domain registration is hidden. Not very promising for a security related business. This definitely requires some clarification from your side.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 10:48:54 am »
I haven't had time to setup any business structure yet (there is no money involved yet)
This is in my long to do list.

I'm focusing on the website development and improving the service quality.
You're right, the site registration is hidden because of spam (and because this was a cheap service provided by the domain registrar).

You can be assured that worldspot is a serious project. Everything is made to take care about your security. Worldspot logs what it can log with the limitations of the email authentication. The backups are automatically made on multiple locations.
Worldspot will not use its users email for commercial activities, and will not communicate them to anybody unless required to.

Offline drei

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 11:06:03 am »
Sorry, it seems that you don't get the point. There is no reason to suspect that you are not an honest person.

But anybody who operates a website has to fulfill legal requirements, and I'm almost sure that your website does not meet these requirements. At least where I live your website would not meet these requirements. Since your server is based in Europe I assume that similar requirements apply to your website.

Honestly, even if you are in the process of creating a business - who would trust a security service that hides its contact information? As a hotspot operator I also have obligations. I cannot force my guests to use an anonymous service to log their internet activities.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 01:54:00 pm »
Please tell me what kind of requirements you are talking about, I will make my best to meet them.
Unfortunately, I am not a lawyer. The problem I see is that, as an international service, it is hard to tell what laws applies on what.

I am not trying to hide my contact information. My mail is available in the mail icon on the left which is visible for only for registered users, just because of spam robots.
Anyone can contact me by mail or with a private message through this forum.

Offline drei

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 05:00:23 pm »
Please tell me what kind of requirements you are talking about ...
Funny question. You want to start a business and provide a service. You have to check the applicable laws. Since you are supposedly based in France you should contact a French lawyer and check French and European legislation.

To get an idea of what is common practice and what might be necessary look e. g. at http://www.free-hotspot.com/main_about.htm or http://www.xcony.de/impressum.asp or http://fr.fon.com/info/legal/ (Conditions Générales du Service FON)

In several (possibly all) European contries everybody who operates a webpage is required to provide full contact details (Name, mail address) in human readable and easily accessible form. This is not limited to commercial services, it also applies to private webpages. Guess why?

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 06:12:18 pm »
Ok I'll think about it.

anything