Author Topic: Which router to buy for use with WorldSpot.net firmware?  (Read 4210 times)

Offline electric

Which router to buy for use with WorldSpot.net firmware?
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:37:31 pm »
Hello,

I am considering to replace my old WRT54GL router with a newer router.  It will use the Worldspot.net firmware.  I am not very familiar with routers, and honestly... they all kind of seem very similar to me and I don't know how to differentiate between them all. Especially because I think only specific "versions" of each router will work properly with the firmware, and I'm not sure how to find out the version before I buy it... (ebay ads don't seem to list that information)

For my situation, I will not be using the wifi capability of the router, because I already have PicoStation M2HP access points that I will use to handle the connectivity.  So I only need the router for routing ability and to run the worldspot.net firmware.  (No wifi needed.)  The only requirement is that the router must have at least one LAN port so I can plug in the PicoStation access point.

I looked on this page here:

http://www.worldspot.net/wk/Main/en/TpLink

Is this page still current and up to date?   There is a broken link (http://worldspot.net/wsfirm/wr1043Hack/) for the special instructions needed for the TP-LINK WR1043ND router.

Can anyone tell me what is the best router for my needs?  My biggest limiting factor is that I am authorized to spend a maximum of 100 Euro ($130 USD), and this must include shipping to France.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:43:50 pm by electric »

Offline electric

Re: Which router to buy for use with WorldSpot.net firmware?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:53:21 pm »
I should also mention that I am replacing the old WRT54GL router, because it doesn't seem to work well with a lot of (more than 10) simultaneous connected devices.

So the new router must be able to handle at least a dozen or more connected devices...

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, are there any worldspot.net firmware users that have large wifi setups?  If so, what router(s) do you use?

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:07:37 pm »
The wr1043nd v2 is a very good value for the price. It has 64mb RAM, 3 antennas, gigabit switch, usb.
Compatible with latest worldspot firmware
Available with a good price in france here
Flash with this file

more routers to come.

Offline electric

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:28:26 pm »
The wr1043nd v2 is a very good value for the price. It has 64mb RAM, 3 antennas, gigabit switch, usb.
Compatible with latest worldspot firmware
Available with a good price in france here
Flash with this file
Perfect.  I just purchased it from the amazon link you provided.  I will flash it with the .bin file you linked to when it arrives in a few days and then update you with my progress.

Thanks again!