Author Topic: Hotspot Usage Not Updating  (Read 6063 times)

Offline wrexy

Hotspot Usage Not Updating
« on: December 20, 2014, 02:46:59 pm »
Hello All,

I run a couple of Worldspot Hotspots. 

I have a current user who signed up to my hotspot.  The user has gone over their data limit by about 200MB and the hotspot hasn't closed off their access as it should.   

The Worldspot stats say the user has only connected 3 times with total downloads of 25.98MB and total uploads of 16.98MB.

Under the Hotspot Connection History (which I believe is more accurate) the user actually connected 7 times and upload/downloaded close to 900MB.

The user signed up again today with a new login account and the same thing seems to be happening.  Stats says 0 connections, 0 bytes uploaded and 0 bytes downloaded.  Hotspot Connection History underneath shows the user connected for 1hr 45 mins and has uploaded/downloaded close to 90MB. 

My internet connection is a pay as you go, so obviously I can’t afford for users to go substantially over the limits in the access profile otherwise it starts to cost me money instead of making a small profit.

I have contacted Worldspot about this and was advised that there had been a problem, but Worldspot weren't able to reproduce and presumably couldn't rectify the fault.

Just seeing if any other Worldspot users out there are experiencing similar problems with incorrect Stats and connections not being stopped when limits are reached. Hopefully this might help rectify the problem.

Cheers,

Wrexy...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 03:34:46 pm by wrexy »

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
Re: Hotspot Usage Not Updating
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 02:55:01 pm »
Hello

I forgot to ask, what firmware are you using?
Please don't use any older dd-wrt.
if you could use worldspot firmware or any recent coovachilli, it could help, as the older dd-wrt uses a very outdated and buggy software.

Offline wrexy

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »
Hi Worldspot,

I am using the Worldspot custom firmware. 

Version from the Node Dashboard is trunk-31059-4

Platform & Model is:  Atheros AR7241 rev 1   TP-LINK TL-WR841N/ND v7   ar71xx

MngVers: 0.38

Regards,

Wrexy...

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 11:48:18 am »
Hello

It seems that the problem could be related to internet connection quality which could cause packet drops.

Some protections prevented some packets to be processed in some cases.
These were removed. This can make things better.

The whole accounting system will be reviewed to address this problem as much as possible.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:11:41 pm by WorldSpot »

Offline wrexy

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 03:29:24 pm »
Thanks Worldspot for the update.  My connection to the internet is quite quick and usually very reliable.  I obviously can't comment on or control the upstream providers.

The raw data counting the data up & down and the time connected shown on the Worldspot history all seems correct, as the traffic is close to what my modem is reporting.  It's the adding up of these amounts that seems to be going amiss.

For example, I could see 7 connections in the history and only 3 connections in the stats and the hotspot system appears to follow/track the stats and not the history.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Wrexy...

Offline wrexy

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 12:52:10 pm »
E-mail sent with details regarding another two users statistics being under reported. 

Offline wrexy

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 11:47:38 pm »
This issue is still continuing. I have just emailed details with another subscription under reporting data & times connected.  It appears the monthly accounts are affected the most. 

Could you please let me know that my previous emails sent have been received as no reply has been received so far.

Thank you.

Offline Neo_Yaud

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 10:33:47 am »
Hi,

Reporting exactly the same issue I discovered yesterday browsing the logs.
Using chillispot on fonera since years and happy with it, nothing changed to the setup.
Using the "free" access class, the user is able to reconnect immediatly while he should wait one week.

On the 'display session history' menu, when clicking on 'details', information reported are wrong : 'you have connected one time since DD/MM/YYYY' and the number of connections displayed on the list is beyond the date range.

At this moment I disabled the 'free access' class and will investigate more.

Offline wrexy

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 03:12:18 pm »
Hi Neo_Yaud,

Thanks for your message. I was beginning to think I was the only Wordspot user having problems.

I have persevered with the issue for over 2 weeks, but have now had to all but close my hotspot and wait for the issue to be fixed. I have one customer subscription left to expire and after to that I will close it indefinitely.

My internet connection is pay per MB and customers have been going over double their quota and still not being cut off by the hotspot. I am now manually calculating customers use on an Excel spreadsheet and cancelling their subscription when the data they have downloaded is greater than what it costs me to supply it. That is without taking the cost of the Worldspot 25% share in to consideration.

I don't know what the issue is or the time frame is to fix it.  Worldspot thought it was my internet connection, but my hotspot customers aren't complaining about internet connection being poor or intermittent, the hotspot customers are downloading lots and lots of data and that I can see how much data is being transferred in the Hotspot connection history area, but the Stats area isn't adding this up correctly and cutting off access to the internet.

Unfortunately it has got to the point where I have chosen to have zero income from the hotspot rather than it costing me more than what it is generating in income.

Hope there is some updates soon.

Regards,

Wrexy...

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 02:56:26 am »
Hello

I'm really sorry for the trouble.

After a long investigation, I finally found the problem and fixed it. It simply was one of worldspot servers having the timezone not configured properly.

The statistics should be updating now. It may take some time to finish.
Please check.

Really sorry again.

Offline wrexy

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 03:43:38 pm »
Thank you Worldspot and so far my Hotspot appears to be operating normally again.

Oddly enough, in our email exchange I did comment about the Last Checkin time on the Node Setup page being 1 hour behind and sent a screen shot on my second e-mail to you, but did not connect the two issues being related.

I notice now the Last Checkin time is back to being green.  I also noticed that the stats for all the old users have updated correctly.

Once again many thanks for solving the issue and the mystery!   :)

Cheers,

Wrexy.