Author Topic: Adding SNMPd support to Worldspot firmware: failed!  (Read 4870 times)

Offline blatha

Adding SNMPd support to Worldspot firmware: failed!
« on: August 06, 2015, 04:33:13 pm »
Hi,

I recently installed worldspot firmware on a TP-Link 1043 (thanks to some help from worldspot :-). I successfully added the dyndns package in order to keep track of my hotspot, but I failed adding the SNMP daemon. This hotspot shares the internet uplink at my secondary house and I want to keep an eye on it as I also use the link to remote control the heating.

Apparently the SNMP daemon does not start because the kernel in the standard firmware does not include the swap module. I found several posts about it, not only on OpenWRT forums but also on X86 Linux forums. "snmpd" is written in such a way that it fails to run if this kernel module is not there. The Debian maintainers categorized the bug as "do not fix" as they don't see the point in having a kernel with no swap capability. Happy large machines users :-)

Is there a strong reason why this module is not included in the worldspot firmware? It could be included with no swap configured (in which case SNMP would apparently work.
Another way could be to have the module compiled and available and only loaded if necessary (I don't know if this function is a loadable module are always built-in)

Thanks

Blaise

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
Re: Adding SNMPd support to Worldspot firmware: failed!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:37:51 pm »
Hello

Your Worldspot firmware node is already accessible from your worldspot account (in the dashboard) at any place. No need for dyndns

Also no real need for snmp, worldspot firmware is monitored. It sens a checkin to worldspot servers every 2 min. You will receive an email if it stops.

Adding swap on a small router that has no mass storage?

Offline blatha

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 04:56:31 pm »
That's what I tried to explain. I use the same internet link for other private usage and for those I need dyndns.
Also, I use snmp to monitor all my equipments, and not only this one hotspot. It is easier for me to have all monitoring grouped in one tool than spread in several, and some things I want to see are not visible from the worldspot monitoring.

Of course I don't want to add swap to this router, just the module so I "could" add it. This is all snmpd asks for. It reads swap variables. They can be set to 0, but they have to be set. Without the module they are not.

Blaise

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 05:27:41 pm »
I'll try to compile it for you

Offline blatha

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:30:39 pm »
Thanks in advance

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 11:08:14 pm »
seems like KERNEL_SWAP is set to y, so it should be configured already...
Please give the item you want to enable in make menuconfig (of openwrt)

Are you creating an openwrt package?

It should be simpler for you to install coova-chilli on any platform you want...

anything