Author Topic: DHCP - Not working with Chilli and Wifi  (Read 97792 times)

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
Re: DHCP - Not working with Chilli and Wifi
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 10:19:06 pm »
I don't know what is the cause of your troubles.
I'm suspecting the lack of memory.
You should definitely try coova beta 4 as it consumes less memory than the official chillispot.
With the automatic configuration, setup is quite fast.
sp3 could help... don't know.

Offline Franxis

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 12:02:00 am »
I went to that release about half way through.  I think I am going to buy another router but this evening I am going to give it one more shot.  I went through several factory resets and uploading freshly downloaded v23sp2 code.  It still will not work unless both the WLAN/LAN are selected.

Offline Franxis

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 09:00:02 pm »
Last night I got a brand new WRTG v3.1 and tried - I was unsucessful in getting it working with either WLAN/LAN or just WLAN configured as the DHCP interface.  I also tried the newer v23SP3 code.  I Wonder if my hot spot account is not functioning correctly.  That is about all I Can think of at this point.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 12:04:55 am »
It cannot be your worldspot account. To reach the landing page, no radius request is made.

I've just retested a dd-wrt sp2 on a linksys wrt54gl and have the opposite problem:
It didn't work with wlan+lan and no separation for wifi: dhcp ok, I can ping 192.168.182.1 but no dns response.
I've reverted to wlan only + wifi separation and it worked well (after some time)
Then went back to previous settings, and it worked !  ???

Then I can't make it fail again :(

Just wondering if there is something related to the clock. Please type date, then check that the clock is ok.

Could you please try to ping  192.168.182.1 then 88.191.29.2 (the worldspot server) from your client.
when you ping google.com do you get an ip?

Offline Franxis

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 01:11:26 am »
I agree it is not my account.  I actually was successful at getting it to work once today.  I used the v23sp3 on my version 3.1 WRTG54G.  I was playing with the VLAN settings when I got it work well.

Then I wanted the true test and rebooted the router and lost wireless and the ability to get dhcp. so back to square one.

I have given up for this evening but thank you for the reply.  I believe I am going to buy another router tommorrow and try with a different model. 

Could you please try to ping  192.168.182.1 then 88.191.29.2 (the worldspot server) from your client.
when you ping google.com do you get an ip?

From my client or actual router?  The client never gets an ip address as dhcp times out.  I am confused by your request.  I am still really excited about getting this working cause I can see lots of great uses.

Also I am a comcast user and I go back and forth between enable / disable STP - Can you elaborate?  STP to me = spanning tree protocol but not sure why comcast users would need to disable it or if it stands for something else.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 01:29:54 am »
The client never gets an ip address as dhcp times out
Ok it is not the same I had.

Have you tried to disable the internal dhcp server?

Also I am a comcast user and I go back and forth between enable / disable STP - Can you elaborate?  STP to me = spanning tree protocol but not sure why comcast users would need to disable it or if it stands for something else.
I don't know. Is it cable modem?

If it still doesn't work, please download the coova.org beta 4 firmware and follow the worldspot documentation. Just try it. It will be interresting to know if it works better.

Offline Franxis

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 03:40:31 pm »
Well I now have a brick or close to a brick.  I can ping it but can not telnet or http to the device.  That was the result of going from a DD-wrt firmware to a coova.org beta 4 firmware.  I didnt want to risk my only other router with another shot.  Again I got it working last night for about 10 mins without the WLAN/LAN setting and I Really feel it is VLAN related.  I keep changing the VLAN settnigs for the Wireless portion and somehow between checking and unchecking the box for the VLAN 0 , VLAN 1 for wirless it works but not really well.  This is a version 3.1 WRTG router and I seem to have a bit better luck with this one than the 2.0 version. 
I will keep digging and I am attempting to buy a new router today.  I do not know how good my chances will be of getting a linksys that is a good version.
Thanks!

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 04:16:28 pm »
Well I now have a brick or close to a brick.  I can ping it but can not telnet or http to the device.
Too bad  :(
That was the result of going from a DD-wrt firmware to a coova.org beta 4 firmware.
I made this several times.
have you tried to use tftp?

There is something strange. How could you buy a v3.1 wrt? They are at version 6 actually (which is not compatible)
Lot of people is using a linksys wrt54gl, but it has few memory (only 16mb) which is too low if you want many clients.

Offline Franxis

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 04:49:56 pm »
Sorry I should have clarified.  I didnt buy the 3.1 version I had it tucked away.  I am a network engineer and the company I work for had several to get rid of and I was offered a few so I took one.

Now if I go out and buy one today are you suggesting I buy the wrt54GL ?
Thanks

As far as clients go I would only want to support possibly 10 tops.

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 05:09:05 pm »
I have a wrt54gl for testing. It works fine, but haven't tested with lot of clients.
with chillispot running, there is only about 500kb memory left.
The official chillispot process takes about 5mb of ram.
The alternative coova chillispot takes less than 2mb.

I also have 2 very good asus wl500gd (which is not sold anymore) with 32mb of ram and usb ports. compatible with all wrt firmwares.

This is strange that you can't make it run with coova or dd-wrt.
If you are a network engineer, you should try openwrt (coova is based on latest openwrt and should be very close). If it works, switch to coova, or install (coova) chillispot in openwrt.
Not that hard.

Offline Franxis

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 06:17:04 pm »
Just got a few more routers and I will try different firmware on each of them.  Just picked up two WRTGS version 2.1's from a friend at work.  Hopefully I can get it to run.  The crazy thing is I set it up for a friend with a WRt54G v2 with not a single problem. I still feel it has something to do with VLAN's though.
Thanks

Offline Franxis

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 01:20:56 am »
Atlas I have given up.  I haven't been able to make this work with a multitude of different routers and versions.  I did just notice someone had the same issue as me and fixed it by adding a net command of the 192.168.182.x in the options field.  one last desperate attempt.