Author Topic: Add Access Points to wired LAN ports  (Read 47567 times)

Offline burtojo4

Add Access Points to wired LAN ports
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:19:29 pm »
I'd like to turn ON the four switchports on my Linksys 160NL runnimg dd-wrt in such a way as to make them part of the WorldSpot-controlled network.

This would allow me to connect several Cisco AP1231 Access Points..

Seems like all I'd need to do is change the "Separate Wifi from the LAN Bridge" from "enable" to "disable"... But that doesn't seem to have accomplished the deal..

Suggestions?

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
Re: Add Access Points to wired LAN ports
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »
Hi

I don't know dd-wrt well, but I think you should also change the hotspot dhcp interface to the lan bridge.

Before that, you might want to enable access to the web interface from the wan side.

Offline burtojo4

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:44:05 pm »
Hi

I don't know dd-wrt well, but I think you should also change the hotspot dhcp interface to the lan bridge.

Before that, you might want to enable access to the web interface from the wan side.

Yes .. I found that if I assigned a 192.168.182.0/24 address to the LAN interfaces, turned OFF the DHCP server for the LAN interfaces, and the turned off the LAN/WLAN bridging all was well.

Now one final question regarding WorldSpot's DHCP server.  Is there a reserved band of IP Addresses (say 192.168.182.240 - 192.168.182.254) that I can assign my Access Points to so the IP address will not expire?

Naturally, I want my Access Points to be "live" and ready to process requests .. then hand them off to WordlSpot DHCP server any time .. I don't want them to fall under the same rules as DHCP clients.

Or should I build a seperate profile that NEVER expires, and limit it to the Access Points by MAC address???

Thank you for all your help!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:15:07 pm by burtojo4 »

Offline WorldSpot

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:51:29 pm »

Worldspot has no dhcp server, it is chillispot that has an internal dhcp server that you can configure.

Your access points should have fixed ip addresses.

They are not supposed to access the internet from their own ip adresses.
Your access points must be "transparent" (ethernet wise)
Their ip address are only useful to access their management web page.

anything